A nephrectomy is a procedure to remove a kidney.
There are different types of nephrectomy:
- Radical nephrectomy is performed for suspected kidney cancer.
- Simple nephrectomy is performed for benign (non-cancerous) conditions.
- Nephroureterectomy, removal of the kidney and the ureter, is performed for urothelial cancer.
Nephrectomy can be performed:
- Laparoscopically – minimally invasive ‘key-hole’ surgery via multiple small incisions.
- Open – via a single larger incision.
- Robotically – with the assistance of the Da Vinci robotic surgical system.
At Brisbane Urology Clinic, all our urologists are highly experienced in nephrectomy and nephroureterectomy for malignant and benign kidney conditions.