DR TIMOTHY SMITH
DR TIMOTHY SMITH | BApSc (MedSc), MBBS (Qld), FRACS (Urol)
Dr Timothy Smith is a urologist with a special interest in:
- minimally invasive surgery: endoscopic, laparoscopic (key hole), and robotic surgery
- bladder, kidney, and prostate cancer
- kidney stones
- benign prostate diseases, such as prostate enlargement.
Dr Smith completed a Bachelor of Applied Science at the Queensland University of Technology in 2004, and a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery at the University of Queensland in 2008. He trained throughout Queensland and was admitted as a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in January 2017.
After completing his training, he undertook a sub-speciality fellowship in robotic surgery at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading, England. Dr Smith’s sub-specialty training included robotic surgery for prostate, bladder and kidney cancer.
Dr Smith sees patients in Brisbane City, at Westside Private Hospital in Taringa, and at the Friendly Society Private Hospital in Bundaberg. He operates at St Andrews War Memorial Hospital, Greenslopes Private Hospital, Westside Private Hospital and the Friendly Society Hospital.
In addition to private practice, Dr Smith is the acting Director of Urology at the Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee hospital. He is a senior lecturer at the University of Queensland School of Medicine, and is the supervisor of junior doctor training in the QEII Hospital Department of Urology. He enjoys teaching surgical trainees, junior doctors, and medical students and is a member of the Academy of Surgical Educators.
Dr Smith is a member of the Executive Committee of the Queensland Clinical Senate, a body which provides strategic advice and leadership on system-wide issues affecting the quality, affordability and efficient delivery of patient care within Queensland. He is also a member of the Education Committee of the Board of Urology, which sets the curriculum for trainee Urologists in Australia and New Zealand.
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Medical Science)(Queensland University of Technology), 2004
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (University of Queensland), 2008
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (Urology), 2017
- Fellowship in robotic uro-oncology at the Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading, England, 2017-18
SUB SPECIALTY INTERESTS
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND REGISTRATION
- Australian Health Practitioner Registration Authority (AHPRA) – Specialist Urologist
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ)
- European Association of Urology (EAU)
- Australian Medical Association (AMA)
- Academy of Surgical Educators (ASE)