DR GREG MALONE
DR GREG MALONE | MBBS (Qld), FRACS (Urol)
Dr Malone commenced consultant urological practice in 2003 with the Brisbane Urology Clinic. In this time, he has continued to develop his special interests of prostate cancer and pelvic uro-oncology, laparoscopy and prosthetic Surgery, as well as continuing to undertake general urology.
Dr Malone graduated in medicine at the University of Queensland in 1992. Junior medical training was undertaken in Cairns and Innisfail. Advanced surgical training was undertaken in Brisbane. In 1998 Dr Malone undertook a Masters of Medical Science degree with the University of Queensland. This research focused on urinary tract cancer, with an emphasis on pathways of cancer spread (metastasis). Dr Malone completed his fellowship examinations and training with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (Urology) in 2001.
In 2002 Dr Malone undertook post-fellowship training at the prestigious Institute for Urology and Nephrology in London. This fellowship focused on prostate cancer and radical prostatectomy, prosthetic urology (penile implant and rehabilitation surgery / male incontinence), endo-urology, and the management of complex stone disease.
In 2008 Dr Malone undertook post-fellowship training in the Da Vinci robotic surgical system with an emphasis on robotically assisted laparoscopic (keyhole) radical prostatectomy. Dr Malone is one of the founding surgeons involved in the establishment Queensland’s first robotic surgery Unit at the Greenslopes Private Hospital, Queensland Robotic Surgery (QRS). Dr Malone was a member of the surgical team involved in the first robotic radical prostatectomy undertaken in Queensland. QRS is now one of Australia’s busiest robotic surgical units, having moved past 2500 robotic prostatectomy cases.
Dr Malone performed the first robotic partial nephrectomy (kidney preservation surgery for renal cancer) in Queensland in 2010, and has now applied this surgical approach to more than 40 renal tumour cases. This surgical approach is also utilised for total nephrectomy plus nephroureterectomy for differing forms of kidney and urinary tract cancer. Dr Malone also uses the Da Vinci robotic surgical system in the management of other cancerous and benign urological conditions.
In 2009 Dr Malone was appointed as a mentor to American Medical Systems. This company is one of the world’s major producers of penile prostheses and male urinary incontinence devices. This role requires Dr Malone to educate and instruct fellow urologists in the techniques and practise of surgical therapy for erectile restoration and male urinary incontinence. These latter two topics are a major part of Dr Malone’s urological practice.
In 2015, Dr Malone was admitted to the Court of Examiners of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. This position entrusts admitted members to undertake assessment of advanced urology trainees in the fellowship examination, prior to the completion of surgical training.
Dr Malone is the recent past-chairman, Australian and New Zealand Association of Urological Surgeons (ANZAUS). This is a position on the Federal Executive of the Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand. Dr Malone recently completed his term as the meeting chair and convenor of the USANZ 2014 Annual Scientific Meeting. This internationally recognised meeting, held in Brisbane, involved the work of 28 international guest faculty and attracted 950 delegates from Australia, New Zealand and internationally.
- Bachelor of medicine and Surgery (University of Queensland), 1992
- Masters of Medical Science (University of Queensland), 1998
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (Urology), 2001
- Fellowship at the Institute for Urology and Nephrology in London, 2002
SUB SPECIALTY INTERESTS
- Robotic surgery
- Prostate cancer
- Pelvic uro-oncology
- Prosthetic surgery
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND REGISTRATION
- Australian Health Practitioner Registration Authority (AHPRA) – Specialist Urologist
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ)
- European Association of Urology (EAU)
- American Urological Association (AUA)
- The Society of Robotic Surgeons (SRS)
- Societe Internationale d’Urologie (SIU)
- Australian Medical Association (AMA)
CURRENT HOSPITAL APPOINTMENTS
- Princess Alexandra Hospital
- Greenslopes Private Hospital
- St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital Brisbane
- Mater Hospital Redlands
- Mater Hospital Rockhampton
- Court of Examiners, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Surgeon mentor, American Medical Systems
- Convenor 2014 USANZ Annual Scientific Meeting
- Past chairman, Australian and New Zealand Association of Urological Surgeons (ANZAUS)