DR ANOJAN NAVARATNAM
DR ANOJAN NAVARATNAM | MBBS BSci (MedSci) Hons (UNSW), FRACS (Urol)
Dr Anojan (Ano) Navaratnam is a consultant Urologist who is a fully credentialed urological surgeon with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He is a robotic surgeon with interests in urologic oncology and endourology.
After growing up in Brisbane, Dr Navaratnam moved to Sydney to complete medical school where he graduated with honours from the University of New South Wales. He then returned to Brisbane and completed his formal urological training.
Dr Navaratnam has extensive experience in robotic, laparoscopic surgery and endourology. He has obtained extra experience in addition to basic Urological surgery, including:
- Laparoscopic and Robotic Fellowship – Princess Alexandra Hospital and Queensland Robotic Surgery (QRS) unit at Greenslopes Private Hospital.
- Endourology/Minimally Invasive Fellowship – Mayo Clinic Arizona, United States of America.
Dr Navaratnam specialises in the following robotic and laparoscopic surgeries:
- Robotic partial nephrectomy – removing kidney tumours while saving the remaining normal kidney.
- Robotic and laparoscopic radical nephrectomy for kidney cancer (including cancers with extension into the vena cava).
- Robotic radical prostatectomy with nerve sparing for prostate cancer.
- Robotic radical cystectomy with urinary tract diversion (ileal conduit and neobladder) for bladder cancer.
- Robotic retroperitoneal lymph node dissection for testicular and other cancers.
- Robotic varicocoele repair.
He also performs the following procedures:
- Rezum, Urolift, and Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP) for enlarged prostates.
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) for complex kidney stones.
- Ureteroscopy with laser for kidney stones.
- Injection of spacing gel (SpaceOAR) prior to radiation treatment for prostate cancer.
He is the only surgeon in Queensland to have experience in the use of robotics for complex surgery including vena cava tumour thrombus surgery and retroperitoneal lymph node dissection. He is the only surgeon in Queensland to have completed fellowship training in Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP) for benign prostate hyperplasia.
He is also able to treat complex kidney stone disease including but not limited to weight loss (bariatric) surgery and cystinuria.
He has published in the urologic literature and has presented his research at the American Urological Association annual meeting, World Congress of Endourology, and North American Robotic Urology Symposium.
Dr Navaratnam is a consultant Urologist and robotic surgeon at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital. He holds a senior lecturer position with the University of Queensland Faculty of Medicine and mentors future urologists. He is a member of the Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ), American Urological Association (AUA), Mayo Clinic Alumni Association, and Endourological Society.
Dr Navaratnam is passionate about the health of Queenslanders and ensuring the best outcomes for his patients. He wants to ensure patients in regional Australia have access to state of the art urological care. He has previously spent four years of medical and surgical training in regional towns including Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Hervey Bay, Rockhampton and Mackay.
Outside of work, Dr Navaratnam enjoys spending time with his family and friends and is happy to talk to any patient about any sport.
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, Bachelor of Science (Med Sci) with Honours (University of New South Wales), 2007
- Robotics and Laparoscopy Provisional Fellowship (Princess Alexandra Hospital and Queensland Robotic Centre at Greenslopes Private Hospital), 2016 – 2017
- Fellowship of Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, 2017
- Endourological Society Combined Endourology/Laparoscopic/Robotics Fellowship (Mayo Clinic Arizona, United State of America), 2017 – 2019
SUB SPECIALTY INTERESTS
- Urologic cancer – prostate, kidney, bladder, testicular
- Minimally invasive surgery – robotic surgery, laparoscopy
- Complex kidney stone disease – recurrent kidney stone formers, kidney stones after bariatric surgery
- Surgery for kidney stones – Percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL), laser surgery
- Treatment for enlargement of the prostate including Rezum, Urolift, and Holmium Laser Enucleation of the Prostate (HoLEP)
- Placement of spacing hydrogel (SpaceOAR) prior to radiation treatment for prostate cancer
- General urology and men’s health
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND REGISTRATION
- Australian Health Practitioner Registration Authority (AHPRA) – Specialist Urologist
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ)
- European Association of Urology (EAU)
- American Urological Association (AUA)
- Endourological Society
- Mayo Clinic Alumni Association